"The month of Ramadhan in which was revealed the Quran, a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the Criterion (of right and wrong). And whosoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days. Allah desireth for you ease; He desireth not hardship for you; and (He desireth) that ye should complete the period, and that ye should magnify Allah for having guided you, and that peradventure ye may be thankful." (The Holy Quran, Surah 2, "The Cow" : 185)
With the approach of the month of Ramadhan, the Muslim is supposed to start a new leaf with Allah, his fellow human beings as well as all his surroundings. On this new leaf, he should first declare sincere repentance from all sins committed in order for him to be eligible for Allah's reward in the blessed month of Ramadan.
For better preparation for the holy month of Ramadan, a scholar had proposed the following:
1. Keep praying daily that Allah gives us the chance and grants us good health that will enable us to fast the holy month.
2. Start repenting and seeking the forgiveness of the Almighty for all our wrongdoings before Ramadhan.
3. Seek the strength from Allah to fast in the way that He likes and wants.
4. Seek forgiveness from all members of your family, workmates, neighbors, and relatives for any wrongdoing against them.
5. Refrain from backbiting, slandering, and unlawful mixing with people.
6. Clean your heart and soul from envy, jealousy, hypocrisy, arrogance, and all heart diseases.
7. Seek the blessings of your parents, if they are alive, and their forgiveness for your shortcomings towards them.
8. Do practice fasting in the month of Sya'ban as Rasulullah SAW did more fast in this month after Ramadhan.
9. Increase your du`aa' and commitment to your daily duties and obligations. May Allah reach us to the month of Ramadhan.
The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to say these words when the month of Sha`ban draws to a close: "O Muslims! A noble and generous month has come to you. A month in which a night is better than one thousand months, and this month is the month of charity, patience, and mercy. In this month the gates of Paradise become wide open and the gates of Hell are shut, and the devils are chained…” [Reported by An-Nasa'i]
Let us keep praying Almighty Allah to bless us in the month of Sha`ban and give us the chance to fast the month of Ramadan. Allahumma ba riklana fi sya'ban, waballighna Ramadhan. Amin.